Freight and Customs Compliance Specialist
Are you someone who sees challenges as opportunities and prepares for what’s next? Do you recognize what needs to be done and take ownership to make it happen? Are you someone who looks for alternative solutions by asking Why? What if? How? Do you want to work on a fast-paced, high-performance team? If these are important in your next position, read on!
We’re looking for someone to be the freight expert for our US Cargo Control brand and continuously improve shipping operations and ensure day-to-day tasks are completed in a timely, efficient, accurate manner. The person in this position will understand and meet customer freight demands that generate revenue, manage costs and maintain freight profitability for the company. We need an individual who will develop and maintain shipping tools and improve processes to increase visibility and efficiency when it comes to rating, shipping and tracking orders. This person will build relationships with carriers and continuously drive down freight costs through contract negotiation and making strategic decisions about building carrier network, and also train and provide feedback to sales staff about best practices related to shipping, pricing, and carrier selection.
US Cargo Control is our largest and fastest-growing brand at Clickstop, selling products serving the trucking and transportation, rigging and lifting, and professional moving company industries. Our customers are often commercial businesses, construction contractors, national companies or government agencies. We’re not a ‘call center’; our customers expect us to be product experts and often are asking for custom items or special pricing. Check out the diverse industrial products we offer our customers by visiting www.uscargocontrol.com.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Track freight margins for continuous improvement.
- Classify new products and update existing items as needed for National Motor Freight Classification (NMFC) and freight class maintenance.
- Process shipping claims for loss and damage and assist with customer returns processing.
- Audit and maintain internal freight information, including managing shipping and actual weight records.
- Improve processes and develop tools for rating and shipping products that increase efficiency, reduce liability and reduce freight expenses through automation.
- Monitor and report on industry trends, make carrier and shipping recommendations based on market conditions.
- Continuously learn about the shipping industry, rules and regulations, and analyze pricing and trends that will affect operations and profitability.
Export Customs Compliance
- Import Customs Compliance Support for the import manager.
- Export Customs Compliance Management.
- Screen for denied party on export shipments.
- Develop and update export portion of import/export compliance manual.
- Contract management and negotiation with current and potential carriers to ensure best possible discounts based on volume and aligns with shipping needs.
- Sign new carriers – strategically decide who we work with to maintain optimal freight spend with each carrier in order to maximize discounts.
- Monitor Canada shipping program by maintaining and updating duty and tax calculations, assisting in preparing commercial invoices, and determining best international carriers.
- Annual NAFTA maintenance for Canadian Shipping program and request duty drawback on qualifying items.
- Request export quotes with international carriers.
Training and Freight Expert Resource
- Provide continuous freight training for sales and service teams – including freight margin protection and shipping processes.
- Develop a strong understanding of all US Cargo Control products for the purpose of understanding shipping these items.
Freight Growth & Profitability
- Protect market price for shipping by asking questions and collaborating with sales and service teams.
- Monitor and improve freight margins by providing tools and training for shipping pricing and continuously drive down shipping costs.
- Strong negotiating skills are needed to effectively navigate complex freight deals to align with sales growth and volumes.
- Ensure the ordering experience with regards to shipping is simple and easy for the customer while focusing on recognizing opportunities for profitability and cost reduction.
- Seek out shipping process improvements and proactively share information that can improve the customer experience.
Sourcing and Drop Shipping
- Quickly provide effective shipping solutions for customers when working with back up and drop ship vendors.
- Have a good understanding of vendor locations, limitations, shipping requirements, prices, free shipping levels, and shipping processes to maintain the best freight options for customers.
- Build good relationships with vendors, holding them accountable to the shipping terms and conditions on purchase orders.
- Paid vacation, holidays.
- 401k retirement plan with generous company match.
- Profit Sharing.
- Health insurance – 100% of premiums paid by company.
- Dental Insurance – 50% of premium paid by company.
- Life & Disability insurance – 100% of premiums paid by company
- Vision discount program.
- Thrive wellness program including on-site fitness, healthy eating program, and learning opportunities.
- Casual dress code where blue jeans and t-shirts are welcome every day.
- Employee Assistance Package.
- Referral bonus opportunities.
- Employee discount on products.
- A culture focused on sustained growth, freedom, responsibility, and opportunity. Read more about the recognition we’ve received for our growth and workplace culture in our Newsroom.
- An innovative new office building slated to open in fall 2016 to feature fun and flexible spaces, including a game room, pub-style recreation room, lactation room, and a treatment room for haircuts, chiropractic care, massages, etc. See the details here: Clickstop Breaks Ground on Multimillion Dollar Building Addition.
This is a full-time position based in Urbana, Iowa, just off I-380 between Cedar Rapids and Waterloo.
Clickstop has made the Corridor Business Journal’s Fastest Growing Companies List 6 of the last 7 years, is recognized as the Coolest Place To Work in the Corridor and is a Top 150 Workplace in Iowa. Are you ready to build your career at one of the top workplaces in Iowa? Send us a cover letter with your story and apply here.